In an evacuation, don’t leave your pets behind. If Charleston County is opening shelters for residents, there will be one emergency shelter that will accept pets: North Charleston High School at 1087 E. Montague Avenue.
Things you’ll need if you evacuate with your pet:
- Make sure your pet’s collar is securely attached and that the ID tag is up to date.
- Get your pet microchipped now (if it is available for your pet.)
Your pet’s emergency supply kit should include:
- A recent photo of your pet in case it becomes lost.
- 3-7 days of water and canned or dry food in your pet’s emergency kit
- Bowls for food and water
- A non-electric can opener if using canned food
- A leash
- Pet medicines, placed in a waterproof container.
- The pet’s medical records, adoption papers, etc., placed in a Ziploc bag in the emergency kit
- Toys to keep your pet entertained
- A crate as a shelter may require it
- Disposable bags for garbage and waste
(Photo credits: operationpetsalive.org, http://www.newson6.com )
Remember, be prepared; stay safe.