As you know, our island has the potential to be hit with many weather related emergencies – hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, and even the occasional ice storm. Hurricane season runs from June through November. Before we even receive warnings that a hurricane is imminent, now is the time to prepare.
- Prepare your home and yard:
- Gather and protect important documents. Click here for ideas.
- Protect your treasures:
- Pack up stored items into plastic containers with secure lids.
- Consider digitalizing photos and family videotapes.
- Move documents and rarely worn jewelry to safe deposit box.
- Back up computer photos and files to the cloud or external hard drive.
- Prepare for possible insurance claim:
- Take a video of the contents of your home with your cell phone.
- Check coverage levels with regard to any renovations or new acquisitions.
- Gather receipts and model and serial numbers of high-priced items.
- Buy storm supplies. Click here for suggestions.
- Make sure your pets’ shots are current and microchip data is up to date.
Our Hurricane Hints can be accessed at any time on the Tidelines website. Use the Hurricane Hints dropdown menu.
Remember, be prepared, stay safe.