Seabrook Island Town Council is currently soliciting public comments as part of its one-year review of Ordinance 2019-09 (“Beach Rules for Pets Ordinance”).
On September 24, 2019, Seabrook Island Town Council adopted Ordinance 2019-09, which implemented several major changes to Section 32-44 of the Town Code, more commonly known as the “Beach Rules for Pets” ordinance. Consideration of this ordinance was initiated by a citizen petition signed by approximately 100 residents and received by the town on February 26, 2019.
Adoption of the new Beach Rules for Pets ordinance was the culmination of nearly seven months of careful study by town officials. In recognition of the diversity of interests and opinions surrounding these matters, Town Council solicited feedback from a variety of community stakeholders as part of a comprehensive public engagement effort, including:
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
- S.C. Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR)
- Dog Advocacy Working Group (DAWG)
- Lowcountry Marine Mammal Network (LMMN)
- Seabrook Island Birders Group
- Seabrook Island Dog Owners Group (SIDOG’s)
- Seabrook Island Property Owners Association (SIPOA)
- Seabrook Island Turtle Patrol
- St. Christopher Camp and Conference Center
- Barrier Island Ocean Rescue (Town Beach Patrol Contractor)
- Coastal Science and Engineering (Town Beach Management Consultant)
Prior to adopting Ordinance 2019-09, Town Council also held an official public hearing to receive comments from interested residents and property owners. Ordinance 2019-09 was unanimously approved by Town Council, and the new Beach Rules for Pets went into effect on October 24, 2019.
To view additional information about the town’s “current” and “former” Beach Rules for Pets ordinances, please click the links below:
- Current vs. Former Beach Rules for Pets Ordinance (With Amendments Highlighted)
- Current Beach Rules for Pets Ordinance (Effective October 24, 2019)
- Former Beach Rules for Pets Ordinance
- Current Beach Rules for Pets Map (Effective October 24, 2019)
- Former Beach Rules for Pets Map
One-Year Review of Ordinance 2019-09
At the time of its adoption, Ordinance 2019-09 contained the following provision: “No later than one year from the effective date of this ordinance, council shall review the terms of this ordinance, and determine whether it has worked effectively and achieved the objective of balancing the interests of all users of the beach. Following such review, council shall amend this ordinance, if and to the extent, it deems necessary.”
Town Council is scheduled to conduct a one-year review of Ordinance 2019-09 during its Ways and Means Committee meeting on Tuesday, September 8, 2020, at 1:00 pm. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the meeting will be conducted virtually via Zoom and will be live streamed on the town’s YouTube page.
Individuals who wish to submit a public comment on the current Beach Rules for Pets ordinance are invited to do so in advance of the meeting using one of the options listed below. Written comments will be accepted until 12:00 pm on the day of the meeting.
- Online: Click Here for Public Comment Portal
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail or Drop Off at Town Hall: 2001 Seabrook Island Road, Seabrook Island, SC 29455
For more information, please call (843) 768-9121.
-Submitted by Joseph M. Cronin, Town Administrator