Do you know… there are several ways to dispose of rubbish on the island?
SIPOA provides a refuse collection and recycling center at the SIPOA Maintenance area adjacent to the Community Garden at 2902 Seabrook Island Road.
- Garbage, household trash and recycling from single-family homes should be placed curbside no earlier than noon on the day prior to the scheduled pick-up day and no later than 7:00 am on the scheduled pickup day. Garbage and trash shall be placed in covered containers provided by SIPOA. Garbage, trash and recycling containers must be removed from the curb and stored where not visible by the end of the day of pick up.
- Property owners/tenants must clean up any of their garbage or trash that has been scattered by wildlife or the elements.
- SIPOA provides monthly brown and white collection usually the first Friday of the month. Bulk items may be left curbside by 7:00 am.
- Hazardous waste such as old paint cans, electronics, batteries, fluorescent lights, and old yard or household chemicals may be taken to the Maintenance area that day between 7:00 am and 2:00 pm. Hazardous materials must be handed directly to the attendant on duty. The materials may not be left on the ground.
- A garbage compactor is available for the convenience of property owners and residents who will not be on Seabrook Island on refuse collection days and need to dispose of their kitchen garbage and inside house trash only. Trash and recycling should be put in the compactor or recycling bins and not left on the ground.
- The compactor and recycling facility is not for use by contractors or commercial enterprises and is not for the disposal of construction trash, paint, harmful chemicals, or bulk trash items.
- Burning of trash, scrap lumber, debris, etc., is prohibited.
These are taken from SIPOA Rules and Regulations, Section VI. B and D.
Property owners should share this information with visitors and rental guests. Our Do You Know…? posts may be accessed at any time on the Tidelines website.