Columbus Day is Monday, October 9, 2023. It is a federal holiday but not a state holiday. What this means is that non-essential federal government offices are closed and every federal government employee is paid for the holiday. The U.S. government recognizes 12 federal holidays: 11 annually and Inauguration Day every four years.
The State of South Carolina does not recognize Columbus Day as a state holiday. Therefore, some businesses that are normally closed on a federal holiday may or may not be open. You should check with your local bank, credit union, school, etc. Some will be closed on October 9, 2023, and others will not.
The local holiday hours are as follows:
- SIPOA offices will be open Monday, October 9, with normal hours. Contractors may work on Monday.
- Town of Seabrook Island offices will be open on Monday, October 9, with normal hours.
- Vincent’s Pharmacy will be open Monday, October 9, with normal hours.
- Post and Computer Center will be open Monday, October 9, with normal hours. UPS and FedEx will be making their runs, but the Post Office will not be picking up or delivering.
- Harris Teeter will be open Monday, October 9, with normal hours.
(Image credit: GoGraph.com)