In an evacuation, don’t leave your pets behind. Locate hotels beyond our evacuation area that are pet-friendly. Our evacuation area is North Augusta, so plan to drive to a location beyond North Augusta. If Charleston County is opening shelters for residents, there will be one emergency shelter that will accept pets. Currently, the Coastal Pre-Release Center at 3765 Leeds Ave., North Charleston, is designated for pets, though this is subject to change so please check with the media first in the event of an evacuation. Shelters should only be used as a last resort.
Things you’ll need if you evacuate with your pet:
- Make sure your pet’s collar is securely attached and that the ID tag is up to date
- Check to be sure your pet’s shots are up to date
- Get your pet microchipped now (if it is available for your pet).
Your pet’s emergency supply kit should include:
- A recent photo of your pet in case it becomes lost
- 3-7 days of water and canned or dry food
- Bowls for food and water
- A non-electric can opener if using canned food
- A leash
- Pet medications, placed in a waterproof container
- The pet’s medical records, adoption papers, etc., placed in a Ziploc bag in the emergency kit
- Toys to keep your pet entertained
- A crate, since a shelter may require it
- Disposable bags for garbage and waste.
Remember, be prepared; stay safe.
(Photo credits: operationpetsalive.org, http://www.newson6.com )