The South Carolina Department of Public Safety is responsible for publishing the evacuation route for the Town of Seabrook Island to be used in the case of an emergency such as flooding or a hurricane. Please click here for a copy of this evacuation map to download and print out.
This evacuation route takes Seabrookers up Bohicket Road to Main Road and US 17. If Main Road is congested, you might be directed to take River Road past Maybank until River Road meets Main Road again. The Charleston Area map below shows how River Road parallels Bohicket and Main Roads until it meets Main Road again. At the intersection of Main Road and US 17, you will make a left towards Walterboro and then proceed towards Augusta, Georgia. Most of this route has only two lanes and is narrow at some points.
Some good car preparation tips for evacuation are:
- Obtain the “South Carolina Hurricane Guide” produced by the SC Emergency Management Division. It includes a map of all the roads and evacuation routes in SC in case you are not in Seabrook. You can get one at the Town Hall or click here.
- Prior to the first sign of an impending disaster, fill your car with gas. Try to keep it at least 1/2 to 3/4 full at all times.
- Pack water, snacks, toilet paper, plastic bags and blankets in your car.
- Restroom access might be limited so use the facility before leaving home.
- If you have a pet, bring supplies that they may need for a long ride.
Keep an eye on the South Carolina Department of Transportation’s (SCDOT) Interactive Evacuation Map here. It provides updated information on the status of all evacuation routes in South Carolina.
The SCDOT also provides an Interactive Evacuation Map specifically for I-26, which shows what exits will be open or closed on I-26 during the lane reversal operation. To access this resource, click here and then click on a point on the map to bring up intersection information.
- Even if you evacuate early, you may find that some exits are already closed.
- When entering I-26, you might be directed onto the eastbound lane even though you intend to travel westbound.
- Call 855-467-2368 for lane reversal information.
Remember, please take the route that has been designated for our area. If everyone decides to use I-26 or I-95, it will be bumper to bumper, as that is the route from downtown Charleston.
Remember, be prepared; stay safe.
(Photo credit: SC Dept. of Public Safety)