SINHG Tours McLeod Plantation

A group of Seabrook Natural History Group members toured McLeod Plantation on DSCN1145Wednesday, September 23rd.  Originated in 1695, McLeod was once one of the largest Sea Island Cotton plantations. It was purchased by William McLeod in 1851 who built the present plantation house shortly thereafter.  McLeod is an antebellum plantation that evolved into a Civil War headquarters for both Union and Confederate troops, a Freedmen’s Bureau site, and eventually a truck farm DSCN1148in the 20th century.
The tour focused on the transition from slavery to freedom and included the recently renovated main house as well as the original slave cabins. Lunch at La Tabella on Harbor View Road followed the visit. Many thanks to Ilse Calcagno for arranging this first ever tour for SINHG.
Submitted by Gary Fansler
Click here to Reply or Forward
0.76 GB (5%) of 15 GB used
Last account activity: 12 minutes ago

Details

Leave a Reply