Two celebrations for one great cause, Sea Islands Hunger Awareness! If you’d like to become a sponsor or make a donation to this crucial cause, click here. If you have items to be auctioned, click here for the form.
Gullah Gala – Friday, May 5, 6:00-8:00pm
Location: the Seabrook Island Club
Admission: $100 (click here for tickets) and tickets are limited.
Meet Artist Jonathan Green introduced by Mary Whyte
Gullah Celebration – Saturday, May 6, 3:00 – 6:00pm
Location: Freshfields Village on the Village Green, Kiawah Island
Admission : $15 adv./ $20 door (12yrs and under are free) (click here for tickets).
Performances by Ann Caldwell and The Magnolia Singers, and the Deninufay African Dance & Drum Production. In addition, there will be a Silent Auction, Sweetgrass Baskets, Jewelry and Art, Gullah Cuisine, and Wine/Beer.
Facts about Hunger
1. 25.2 % of the population of Wadmalaw (approx. 2,989) is below the poverty level.
2. 13.5% of the population of Johns Island (approx. 21,763) is below the poverty level.
3. Nearly 90% of the children on the sea islands are living below the poverty level.
4. One out of six Americans face hunger.
5. One out of five South Carolinians face hunger.
6. African Americans are twice as likely to face hunger.
7. Hunger is highest among rural communities
8. The lack of adequate food affects the cognitive and behavioral development of children.
Groups that Help Fight Hunger on the Sea Islands
1. Backpack Buddies of Seabrook
2. Hebron Zion Presbyterian Emergency Food Bank
3. Holy Spirit Catholic Church Food Pantry (fully funded by Holy Spirit Catholic Church) 4. Meals on Wheels of Charleston
5. Our Lady of Mercy Community Outreach Food Pantry
6. Rockville Presbyterian Meals on Monday
7. Sea Islands Blessing Basket
8. Sweet Grass Garden Co-0p
The Sea Islands Hunger Awareness Foundation is a 501c-3 non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible. For more information about the foundation please visit us online at www.FightIslandHunger.org
These events are sponsored by:
Barrier Island Free Medical Clinic, 3226 Maybank Highway, Suite 1-A Johns Island, SC 29455 BIFMC.org
Tiger Corner Farms, 104 W 7th North Street, Summerville, SC 29483 tigercornerfarmsmfg.com
Sea Islands Hunger Awareness Foundation PO Box 268 Johns Island, SC 29457-0268 FightIslandHunger.org