Joe earned his Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree in 2005 from the University of South Carolina. Since then, he has spent 12 years working in public sector management in the State of South Carolina.
Joe comes to Seabrook Island from the Town of Fort Mill, SC (pop. 15,029), where he served for eight years as Planning Director and Assistant Town Manager for one of the fastest growing communities in the state. Prior to that, he was the Research Division Manager with Richland County Government in Columbia, SC.
Some of his previous accomplishments include:
- Overseeing the permitting and inspection of more than 3,200 residential units and nearly 40 commercial projects, with a total construction value of more than $1.3 billion
- Implementing a Development Impact Fee program which, since October 2015, has generated more than $3 million for parks and recreation, fire protection and community facilities
- Negotiating 16 development agreements and amendments, most of which provided additional public benefits, such as land for parks, schools and fire stations
- Completing a comprehensive plan update, historic district design guidelines manual, capital improvements plan, and a complete re-write of the town’s zoning and land use regulations
- Facilitating major economic development and redevelopment projects totaling more than 1.5 million square feet and adding more than 3,000 new jobs
- Coordinating preparation of the town’s annual budget
- Supervising Planning and Zoning, Human Resources, Public Relations, Building and Code Enforcement staff
- Improving communication efforts with town residents by utilizing social media outlets
Joe is a native of Rochester, NY, and has lived in South Carolina since 2003. He currently lives on Johns Island with his three-pound Yorkie, Lexie.
We are fortunate to have Joe, and we invite you to come by Town Hall to meet him.
-Submitted by Ron Ciancio, Mayor, Town of Seabrook Island