The March 2020 “Artists of the Month” will feature various art works created by the participants of the Chris Groves January workshop. The paintings were created using the participants personal photos under the guidance of Chis Groves. They will be displayed in the Lake House gallery.
Chris Groves is returning in March to teach an Abstract Painting Workshop. Chris describes this workshop as not for beginner painters but a workshop for those artists who are new to painting abstractly. The workshop will be on March 24 and 25, 2020 at the Oyster Catcher Community Center from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. The cost will be $195 for members and $225 for non-members. Please register with Bob Lefevre (email@example.com), and send your check made out to SIAG and mark it “Chris Groves Abstract Workshop” to Ann Demitruk (2460 The Haulover).
Chris Groves’ class will cover the basics of Abstract painting:
• A lecture on past and present Abstract painters
• Discussions on what works and doesn’t work in abstraction
• The basics of combining composition, color, shapes, values and edges in order to obtain a solid structure in your abstract paintings
• Starting and pushing pieces in various directions
• Various tools will be introduced as alternatives to the paintbrush
• Focus on using Edges and Lines correctly to create stronger paintings, along with demos and in-class exercises on reductive simplification
• Exercises in “adjusting” color, shape, tone and edge in order to maintain the initial intention of your painting
• Composition will be pushed as an underlining theme of these more abstract pieces
For more information on the Seabrook Island Artists Guild, its membership, classes, events and workshops, please visit our website at www.seabrookislandartistguild.com
-Submitted by Sharon Peck