Our Tidelines post on Saturday, April 18, congratulated Charleston on its 350th Anniversary. Click here to read the post.
The Post and Courier is running a series of articles about the history of Charleston to commemorate the 350th Anniversary beginning in 1670 when the first settlers arrived in Charleston Harbor. We will be posting a link to each article of the series as it becomes available.
To read this fifth article, “Charles Town Grew Despite Epidemics, Storms, Discord,” click here.
To read the previous articles:
- Click here for the first article “350 Years Ago, Charleston’s First Settlers Carved a New Colony in a Pristine Wilderness.”
- Click here. for the second article “Early Days of Charles Town Could Drive a Settler To Drink.”
- Click here for the third article “Slavery Comes to New World as Settlers Adopt Name Charleston.”
- Click here for the fourth article, “The Call of Oyster Point Attracted Settlers to Peninsula.”
(Image credit: Matthew Fortner/Staff. It is St. Philip’s Church viewed from Circular Congregational Church cemetery. Although the Circular Congregational Church sits on the same land as its 1681 predecessor, St. Philip’s moved to its current location in the 18th century.)