Today, Friday, April 22, is Earth Day, when we recognize the importance of the natural world to our quality of life and the health of our planet. This is particularly true on Seabrook Island where the wonders of nature are part of our daily experience. Today, let’s take a moment to appreciate the many individuals and organizations dedicated to conserving our beautiful place in nature.
A partial list would certainly include the following:
- The Turtle Patrol for giving sea turtles a safe place to hatch their young.
- The Seabrook Island Birders for maintaining more than seventy bluebird boxes and hosting scores of educational events and outings to further our knowledge of birds.
- The Seabrook Island Green Space Conservancy for providing protected habitat and natural spaces for all those critters we love to see.
- The Seabrook Island Natural History Group for sponsoring trips and lectures to help us better understand our Lowcountry environment.
- The Town of Seabrook Island and Seabrook Island Property Owners Association for maintaining our beautiful beaches naturally, and for the special care provided for the well-being of dolphins and shorebirds.
- The Seabrook Island Club for managing our golf courses in accordance with the practices of a certified Audubon International Cooperative Golf Sanctuary.
In addition to these organizations, we’re all responsible for the stewardship of our island’s natural gifts. On Earth Day let us appreciate the work of those who are striving to conserve it and consider ways to contribute to their success.
Happy Earth Day!
-Submitted by Carl Voelker, Seabrook Island Green Space Conservancy
(Image credit: earthday.org)