St. Johns Fire Department tweeted a reminder from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission on how to stay safe this winter.
- If you are using a space heater, make sure it is at least 3 feet away from any objects. Obviously, you want to keep it away from flammable items, but many times you don’t know if something is flammable.
- Don’t plug a space heater into a power strip.
- Unplug the space heater when you go to bed.
- Limit the number of electric cords you plug into one outlet or power strip.
- During the holidays, keep your real tree well watered while you have it up.
- Don’t use damaged or worn extension cords.
- Avoid using electric cords where they can be pinched, such as under a rug.
- Never force a three prong cord into a two prong outlet.
- Keep candles away from anything that can catch fire.
- Make sure decorative lights are secure and not near anything that can catch fire if they get too hot.
For more information from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, click here.
Have a safe and warm winter.