The National Weather Service in Charleston has issued the following Winter Weather Advisory:
Winter storm watch in effect from Wednesday morning through Wednesday evening.
Strengthening low pressure will pass offshore Wednesday with wintry precipitation (snow, sleet, and freezing rain) expected to impact much of southeast SC/GA. The greatest potential for accumulating snowfall is across the coastal areas, especially around Charleston.
AAA recommends the following winter driving tips:
- Avoid driving while you’re fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated. Never mix radial tires with other tire types.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
Tips for driving in the snow:
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- Applying the gas slowly to accelerate is the best method for regaining traction and avoiding skids.
- Don’t try to get moving in a hurry. And take time to slow down for a stoplight. Remember: It takes longer to slow down on icy roads.
- Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads. Accelerating, stopping, turning – nothing happens as quickly as on dry pavement. Give yourself time to maneuver by driving slowly.
You might want to bring in any fragile plants or cover them this evening. Also, if you have any outdoor pets, please make sure to bring them in.
Follow us on Twitter at TidelinesAlert to receive instant information about weather updates as we receive them.