As of October 1, 2023, the town’s “off-peak” season rules pertaining to pets on the beach are now in effect. Pursuant to Section 32-44 of the Town Code, also known as the “Beach Rules for Pets Ordinance,” the beaches of Seabrook Island are divided into three zones. The requirements for each zone during the “off-peak” season are provided below:
- Restricted Area (Red)
- Boardwalk #1 (Community Center Boardwalk) to Captain Sams Inlet.
- No pets allowed whether on or off a leash.
- Limited Restriction Area (Yellow)
- 300 yards northwest of Boardwalk #9 (Pelican Watch Boardwalk) to Privateer Creek.
- Pets allowed but must be leashed at all times
- General Beach Area (Green)
- Boardwalk #1 (Community Center Boardwalk) to 300 yards northwest of Boardwalk #9 (Pelican Watch Boardwalk)
- During the “off peak” season (October 1 – March 31), pets allowed off-leash at all times, provided they remain effectively controlled while on the beach.
As a reminder, when an animal is allowed to be off-leash, it must be effectively controlled by a competent person from: (a) entering any area on or adjacent to the beach in which a pet is prohibited; (b) destroying or damaging any property; (c) attacking or threatening to attack any person or any other animal or pet in any manner; or (d) being a nuisance to other beachgoers.
When a pet is required to be on a leash, it must be restrained using a physical restraint made of cord, rope, strap, chain, or other material effective for restraining the type and size of the animal to which it is attached. In addition, the physical restraint must be no more than sixteen (16) feet in length, secured to the animal’s collar or harness, and continuously held by a competent person physically capable of restraining the animal. Animals under voice control, or under control of remotely operated devices (such as electronic collars), are considered to be “off-leash.”
The beaches of Seabrook Island are actively patrolled by code enforcement officers employed by the town during the “off-peak” season. Individuals who are found guilty of violating any ordinance of the town may be subject to fines up to $1,087.50 per offense (including court fees) upon conviction.
To report a violation during the off-peak season, please contact Town Hall at (843) 768-9121.
The town’s “off-peak” season rules will remain in effect until March 31, 2024.
-Submitted by Town of Seabrook Island