These activities are available for booking throughout the summer:
- Marsh Tours – This popular sunset paddle trip brings you down the peaceful waters of Privateer Creek from a crabbing dock to a beach boathouse by the estuary. See and learn about birds, dolphins, oysters, marsh plants, and other early evening wonders during this 2-hour tour. We also offer a morning paddle trip every other Saturday to discover morning wonders along Privateer Creek.
- Botany Shelling & Fossiling Tour – This 3-hour tour will bring you across the estuary to Botany Island at low tide, a quiet beach replete with shells, sharks’ teeth, and other incredible discoveries.
- Seining – Learn about fish and other critters in the estuary, visit the St. Christopher Aquarium, and then walk a seine net through the water to catch and observe cool creatures in this 1- or 2-hour program.
- Beach Ecology – This mile-long trek on the beach will take you through several unique ecosystems, teaching you about the ecology of the beach and estuary and ending in the Mud Pit.
- Cast Netting/Crabbing – Walk down a maritime forest trail to the crab dock and learn about crabs and other dock creatures in the salt marsh. You will also learn how to crab using a hook-and-line method and how to throw a cast net to catch tidal creek critters.
- Herpetology/Orienteering – In this 2-part, 2-hour class, learn about reptiles and amphibians of the Lowcountry, and visit the St. Christopher Herpetarium. Then, learn how to use a compass to navigate and complete an orienteering course around the camp.
- Nature Hike – Take a guided hike through our maritime forest to learn about trees, wildlife, and the ecological benefits of the forest. This hike will also take you to see a freshwater “slough” wetland in the middle of the forest, home to many plants and animals.
- Evening Turtle Walk – Learn about the lifecycle of the Loggerhead Sea Turtle, from hatchling to maturity, and then take a walk on the beach before dusk to understand more about nesting turtles on our local beaches.
To book Outdoor Encounters and for more information, click here.
-Submitted by St. Christopher Camp and Conference Center